Canary & Apple HomeKit

Last week Apple annonced HomeKit integration can be a software implementation now! Will you update actual Canary firmware to be compatible with HomeKit? I dont want to buy another model only to be compatible with my home automation system…
https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/705/

3 Likes

I really really hope that Canary is working on getting all versions of its devices (from the crowdfunding days forward) updated to work with ios 11’s new software based homekit implementation. I love my Canary unit but with my heavy investment into Homekit to date i sure don’t want to replace it with another brand if I dont have to!

Hello, I have seen the announcement from a year ago of Canary’s plans to release an Apple HomeKit compatible product called Canary Plus. It seemed to indicate that this product would have been out by last Autumn. But, I haven’t seen much since. Is Canary still planning to release a product that will integrate into the HomeKit ecosystem? If so, when will this product be available?

Hello everyone, and thank you for all of your feedback about Apple HomeKit!

While I don’t have a timeframe to share, I do want to confirm that the Canary Plus is still in development and we continue to focus on integrations for it as well as other Canary devices. Please continue sharing any feedback you have about how you’d use a HomeKit capable Canary or what specific features you’d like to see, as we’d love to get some insight about how you’ll be using these integrations.

1 Like

Well, I would like HomeKit so that I can use voice controls - “front camera on”, “front camera off”, “all cameras off”, “record back”, etc. I’d love to be able to use these from my Apple Watch.

2 Likes

For me, it’s all about the integration and unified app experience.

I’d like to Homekit features to allow the following possibilities:

• geo-fencing my location to automatically turn the camera on and off when I’m away/home respectively.
  • triggering scenes when motion is detected - e.g if motion is detected outside, turn on the outside (homekit) light. Or play a sound through a homekit enabled speaker to indicate movement detected downstairs.
  • specify time periods to trigger different events.
  • add it to my “morning” and “nighttime” scenes to automatically disable/enable the camera when I enabled or disable these modes.

Part of me choosing Homekit is so I don’t have to open up 4 different apps to do/check for different smart devices. Simply put, a Homekit ecosystem allows for a superior experience when checking the status of my smart devices: They’re in one location, and it’s built into my iPhone.

1 Like

I would like more radio’s like Zwave and Zigbee. Right now I have the LG Smart Security, and I have trouble recommending the Canary now because it doesn’t do anything else or act as a hub for the Internet of Things. I am hoping that not only having HomeKit integration it will also be a hub. If it does I might very well switch because I love my LG but there are simple issues that the Canary doesn’t have (like multiple users).

Keep up the great work, though. The Canary is a great camera system and I think the Flex is the best out door camera out there.

1 Like

Could someone at Canary actually commit to a timeline? I really feel, after the original announcement over a year ago that we are being fooled…

After Apple opened up the opportunity making hardware work with HomeKit by updating the software which need to or approved by Apple. Are there any planes making Canary available via HomeKit?

@Felix, I have merged your post into this topic as others also would love to see this! Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Is there any update to the timing? I really would like to know.

Please add an update regarding HomeKit support!

This is an added value service that would convince me joining the membership program. With the lower barriers regarding the requirements for HomeKit Apple set with the newest iOS update I see no reason why the original all-in-one device can not be supported.

I just added z-wave devices to HomeKit this week based on HomeBridge which implements a HomeKit gateway product in pure software. There is no hardware necessary to support HomeKit. Of course the HomeBridge software is not certified, however this is something Canary could do.

This is the only thing holding me back from buying many Canaries for my entire house. The Logitech Circle, Netatmo Presence/Welcome and D-Link Omna are all good alternatives that support HomeKit even without a membership.

2 Likes

The Canary Plus was meant to be released back in autumn 2016. Please can canary confirm if this is still being developed or are they going to allow HomeKit support through software as Apple have made this possible?

I home that Canary will finally made HomeKit integration. All my devices are integrated with HomeKit, and use Siri to control them (even Nest, which doesn’t support HomeKit natively, but works through Homebridge).

Lack of HomeKit integration is a big miss for Canary, especially when there are so many HomeKit-compatible cameras on the market for the same price. I want to create automations like “Person detected near the front door -> Turn on the light on Philips Hue” etc.

Just want to check again if there will be any chance for integrating Apple HomeKit in the Canary environment.
Apple opened up the systems a long time ago for existing systems like Canary so please give us any feedback or hint if the integration ins planed.

1 Like

I am looking to buy a Canary but I want HomeKit support. Has nothing changed in the two years since they announced a new product to support HomeKit? Apple opened up HomeKit to software authentication over a year ago and still nothing as well. For privacy minded people Apple Homekit is the only home automation I am interested in.

I would recommend looking elsewhere. I really loved my Canary when I got it back in 2015 (or was it 2014?), but they have really stalled over the past 3-4 years IMHO.

There are examples on this forum of people asking for capabilities and features and waiting YEARS for any kind of meaningful response. HomeKit support, API access, etc. That’s never good.

3 Likes

Today Arlo at CES announced Homekit compatibility through a software update (also for their older wireless models, see: https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/07/arlo-announces-homekit-software-update-for-its-home-security-cameras-launches-new-4k-ultra-model/ ) …maybe there is still some hope for Canary to implement Homekit in some way with their current line-up? Maybe Canary has some announcements this year?

…. any update…?

Today Netatmo made their Weather Station compatible with Apple’s HomeKit at the same time they also made a very nice communicative effort and explained why they were only able to support the latest version of their Weather Station with Homekit: https://www.netatmo.com/blog/en/weather/homekit-weather-station/

I guess Canary is facing similar challenges…and maybe they could see this as an example of ‘open’ communication to its customers.