Canary needs to be more "stealthy" at night

App control for on/off of light. Using to monitor senior parent, caregivers and a problem with items disappearing from her home. Have monitors tucked in with pictures-prefer they are not seen, nor have attention drawn to them. When first placed, the motion triggered recording, and thus the white light. Each one immediately spotted the Canary upon entering my mom’s dark bedroom at night. At shift change incoming and outgoing workers had a discussion about the monitor (what is THAT?) picked up, looked over & sat it back down. Of course the angle wasn’t right, so much less effective as a nanny cam. Would like to place them higher, on wall or high shelf / top of cabinet, but cord is too short. The black color of cord really stands out too. Consider a batch of longer cords in both black and white or off-white too?!! I wanted incognito monitoring to start with, so I that could see what was actually going on in my absence. I have quite a few caregivers for 24/7 coverage. No abuse of my mom, thankfully. But, oh the things I have seen so far. Glad you are looking at senior market. I am contacting Anna to participate in (?) testing. Just started using 2 days ago, and overall, very happy with my two Canary devices, thanks for making a great product & welcoming our feedback!

Why not both? Give us the option to turn it off or dim it. This is simple stuff, people. It’s software, there are literally infinite options you could offer. Having no way to turn off this rather bright light is a MAJOR oversight. Please fix this asap.

Ive notice that my cameras, while beautiful, tends to have that white “halo-like” ring at the bottom of the camera that almost stands out, especially at night. Now i understand the infrared lights are there to allow the canary to see in the dark, but is it remotely possible to push out a feature that allows the user to disable the light, making the camera more hidden?

I remember suggesting this a while back to Canary support, at the time it was not a request they had heard very often. But, let me say that I too fully support this idea! On both the original Canary and the Canary Flex!

I agree that turning off this light would be beneficial; especially with better in-app notifications that the Canary is offline. The light is redundant with better alerts for status.

We have heard this suggested before. With multiple users at the same location, do you think there’d be a level of discomfort not knowing what Canary is or isn’t recording at a glance?

Just FYI re: Canary Flex, while operating on battery power, the LED is off when recording motion.

Giving users the option of turning it on or off should come with a disclaimer for that. I’m not uncomfortable, and i have confidence that the ability to enable privacy features in the app is enough to warrant providing such an option for users and allowing them to make their own decisions.

Giving users the option of turning it on or off should come with a disclaimer for that. I’m not uncomfortable, and i have confidence that the ability to enable privacy features in the app is enough to warrant providing such an option for users and allowing them to make their own decisions.

So, I would have to agree with this. As long as a little alert bubble came up checking with the user about that concern, I think that would be fully acceptable. The other side of this would be to just give the user control over the light - allow users to make the light a different color, darker, brighter, flashing every “x” minutes, etc. This way a user could get certain notifications visually still without a bright light being constantly on.

For example, If I could have the canary flash a red light every 1 minute to just remind me it is on, it would be less noticeable. Think more like what you get from a fire alarm or something of that nature.

We have heard this suggested before. With multiple users at the same location, do you think there’d be a level of discomfort not knowing what Canary is or isn’t recording at a glance? Just FYI re: Canary Flex, while operating on battery power, the LED is off when recording motion.

That’s good to know. When I was using it inside it seemed like the light was normally on. Now that it is outside, it’s a little harder to tell…

Would drastically dimming the light (e.g. down to 10% brightness) be more manageable or appealing?

10% is a good compromise in my book.

I’m thinking a 10% dim. In my head, 5 sounds awesome, but @pete you know more than me with why it isn’t adjustable.

At night i depend on the infrared to signal it’s on.

@ryclar This may be a better question for a product designer, but from a support perspective, it makes troubleshooting a device much easier, as it’s a strong indicator of what’s actually going on.

I just dont want thieves to notice the camera’s there!

I agree with this topic.

As Canary’s become more popular, the light will draw more attention to the device and cause it to be less effective. I understand the support standpoint but this could be replaced or supplemented by a simple LED on the back of the device such as a power indicator light.

This said, my wife knows the Canary is in the house and forgets it is there. Maybe where I have mine is less conspicuous place than other people. However, my mom on the other hand knows I have the device and turn the camera to face the wall while she was in our house because she didn’t like being recorded. My mom didn’t know where I had it but since she was looking for it, the light was a give away where it was.

On another note, providing the user with the ability to customize the brightness and (off topic) even the color of the LED would be a neat feature.

W

Reading these threads, I didn’t know until now that a light came ON when recording. I have mine set to “private” once I’m home. It sits on a dresser with mirror behind it. The light is a dead give away, so I placed a small TV remote control in front of the CANARY which hides the light.
If the light was dimmer, in my opinion, it’s still noticeable. If a “recording light” was designed behind the CANARY, it would still be visible if a mirror is behind the CANARY. My vote would be an unobtrusive flashing light every 1 minute similar to smoke alarm behind the device as @Zev mentioned above.

Good day!
I must throw my 5 cents opinion in here.

I also do not care for the multi color status light ring on the bottom.
because this alerts an intruder to its presence.
optional on/ off would be great!

I had a friend who I told to look for my blue tooth speaker, find it and ask what it was and brought it out to me!!!
once he saw the lens in the front he knew it was some sort of camera and I had to explain to him it was “only” and air quality/ enviromental sensor" haha.

Anyway, I have since blocked off the light with black electrical tape around the base.

on a similar note, in a dark room or at night you can see the "IR illumination LEDs!!!"
they do make IR leds in a different wavelength that do not show any visible light at all!!
i’d suggest these in future models?
between the status light and the red dim glowing IR lights its very easy to spot the unit in the dark.

thank you!
Marc

Just FYI re: Canary Flex, while operating on battery power, the LED is off when recording motion.

Just a quick update to this: After using and working with my Canary Flex more, I hate to say it but this is not always true. In my case my Canary Flex is mounted a couple stories up and looking outside. This is a limitation based on where I live. The result of that is the light is always illuminated as even when motion is detected on the end of the app - the flex it self appears to be too distant from the motion outside to recognize it.

So long story short, I am still requesting a way to disable that light…

Thanks for the update @Zev. Sorry to say that there’s no news yet on disabling the LED.

Are you using your Flex on battery power? The light will turn on when recording motion while connected to the power cable, but shouldn’t when using battery.

It is being used only via the power adapter. That could be why it is always on… Though in that case, same problem, different reason, haha!

The more folks that know what it is by the light under it the worse off we are. We should have the option to disable the light ring under Canary is my take. Also ir light ring on front should be as invisible as possible.