Canary needs to be more "stealthy" at night

This is a must - when will we get an update from Canary - this has been requeted for over 2 years

0 Likes

Dear Canary team,
I really can’t understand why it is so difficult to implement this. Nearly every other cam has it. You mentioned that there are users who want the light. That’t completely fine, nobody wants you to completely suppress it. We just want the option to do so because different people use the cam in different environments and under different circumstances. After 2 years please stop th ediscussion and just implement the option.

Thanks

0 Likes

Just purchased Canary over “Ring” and now not sure it was so wise. I purchased the Canary because I thought it was more stealthy. Apparently I didn’t do enough research because the light does make the camera conspicuous. I would really love Canary to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Electrical tape seems not to be the best resolve, and this growing consumer concern really makes Canary seem deficient in such a high tech industry. Please resolve Canary, the whole point is to provide surveillance, and by it’s very own definition is: close observation, especially of a suspected spy or criminal. If our surveillance is observable, it’s not really functioning at it’s best performance level. Thank you, KJ

0 Likes

Is Canary ever going to fix this??

0 Likes

I’m think this is a physical design issue that cannot be fix with a simple software feature update. I’m sure Adam Sager and his team are aware of it, and I don’t necessarily blame them for not responding to this post. The consumer security camera market is exploding with competition. There is a non elegant solution to block the light by covering it with electrical tape. It’s not that difficult to do but it is disappointing knowing that all my Hubble Mororola camera have this option. Why do I want the light off? I’ve had my All In One for about a year, when I turned it on for the first time and saw this glowing light at the bottom I thought it was almost laughable for a security camera. Fast forward and electrical tape to the rescue. Just bought a Flex last month and installed it above the front door (no electrical tape). At night the light brightly reflects off the mist/fog so I will be taping it up as well. This light isn’t powerful enough to be helpful at this distance and only causes trouble. On a positive note, the cameras do perform very well and this is really the only painful issue I’ve experienced besides receiving a View that was DOA.

0 Likes

When will we have the option to turn the lights off? My wife does not like the white light on the canary. it gives her the sense she is being watched. Also when an intruder comes in the unit gets noticed. Not goog for security!!!

0 Likes

Your post has been merged with an existing topic on this request.

0 Likes

Zev,

It would be good if Canary would stop just merging the obviously numorous contributions to this topic but actually SOLVE THE PROBLEM. Every other cam has this function. It’s hard to believe that Canary can’t do it.

0 Likes

Hey @007,

Implementation of any new feature takes time and money. Although I agree that this would be a great addition, there is currently no announcements on that front.

I volunteer my time here and do my best to help keep things together so it is easier to manage and I am the one merging things together.

0 Likes

I have been using Canary cameras for my home for over two years. I have found it to be an awesome solution for a) security b) baby cam (just making sure she’s still asleep) c) pet cam d) being away from home anxiety. Of course there is a lot of room of improvement that I am assuming is not only difficult but costly (processing power) like Person presence recognition. There are others like controlling a) the status light to leave it turned off indefinitely (option in the app) b) manually control night vision through the app on each cam. These options should not involve more than a couple of programming hours and testing. It’s silly it has not been implement as of now, because apparently most other camera systems already have these controls. I don’t have any intention to let a burglar know where the cam is, while others would think it could scare them off. Let us decide !! Take a look at competing camera systems and they are being pretty aggressive with big discounts and awesome specs.

0 Likes

I agree with the points raised in this topic. But I am very doubtful of future developments as it has been very quiet at Canary. There have been no (even small) firmware upgrades in a while and also no (CES) announcements regarding future or ongoing developments. I hope Canary will continue development and support of their products as well as implementing (small) changes as requested in this topic. Maybe something ‘big’ is coming like Arlo and others still supporting their ‘older’ products…

0 Likes

Judging from the history of this subject and the lack of response from Canary, I’m not hopeful. I think that both lights should be controlled by the user software. I have 2 Canary Flex, which in general work pretty good, especially considering the price I paid. However, both of the are located inside of windows as power and wireless signal are issues. The outside areas are lit so I do not néed night vision and the white ring is a dead giveaway to intruders. You better start listening Canary. There are a considerable number of reasons for this change and you are not responding.

0 Likes

+1 I would like this feature. Canary - can you reply with an ETA?

0 Likes

I’m just curious as to why you needed something without a hub? Just thought I might be able to help you.

0 Likes