Canary not detecting as many motion events since the 2.0 firmware update

I’ve had two canary flexes positioned outside my house for a few months now and have noticed that since the 2.0 firmware update, both cameras record a lot less motion events than prior to the upgrade even though I have not changed a thing with my set up. The position is the same, the network router set up is the same, the long range settings are the same, yet many obvious motion events that I know are occurring do not get recorded where they did before.

It also seems that some adjustments have been made to how long the camera records when motion detection stops. This results in clips are often cut off too soon to see what’s happening.

Someone tell me I’m not crazy and have noticed this behaviour as well. Can someone from Canary confirm or deny that adjustments have been made to sensitivity perhaps in an effort to improve batter life? I’d rather have a choice, otherwise these camera will become pretty useless for any outside monitoring.

Canary instability
Canary instability
Service outages frequency

Hey @trevport,

My apologies that you’re having difficulty with your Canary since the 2.0.0 Firmware Update.

Before I send you to submit a ticket to Canary to look at your device, I’d suggest just briefly running through your settings and making sure that they are all set correctly - primarily, your motion notifications are set to collect as much data as possible, and that your modes are set up correctly.

Here’s some information on that.

In the event that none of those fix or answer your question, I would suggest submitting a ticket and seeing if there might be something going on directly with your device.

There are a few different ways you can contact support if you would prefer a faster response during business hours, you can find details about that here.

A few tips when submitting your ticket:

• Include the email you use on your Canary login as your contact email so Canary can find your account quickly.
  • If you have multiple Canary devices, include this information and detail which models you are having issue with.
  • Include any pictures or videos that might help diagnose the issue you are having.
  • Be as detailed and clear as you can in your description to help Canary diagnose your issue.
  • Say what you have already tried and how you did it, this may help speed up your time to a fix.
  • Include a link to this topic if it contains additional information from other users that might help Canary.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

What’s up with the instability of late? I’ve signed up to the email notifications on the status page and every few days see that all of the critical features that make this a security device are unavailable for several hours.

Are there underlying issues that you know the root cause of and are in the process of fixing, or is this level of instability business as usual now?

Wait till you see what they have done as of today on my sevice.
You no longer get full video of motion …but just 10 seconds of it and a banner stating you have to subscribe to watch full video!@#
Take away from the user. Make them pay more for things that were inconsistent at best.
What a huge disappointment.
This canary experience has been.
Continues let’s see what they take away next week.

Disappointed here as well. Last Thursday, Canary sent out an email announcing their “New Free Plan Experience,” which basically laid out how they will be cutting back on services offered to free plan users. The 10-second video preview is one of their new “experiences.” Another “experience” is taking away Night Mode for free plan users.

And yes, the Canary service is down more often than most of us would like to see in a security system…

Not a good week…

Hello. I am still new (less than two months) to Canary ecosystem and learning as I go. I signed up to get emails alerts to alert me with outages etc. Why are there many frequent outages? A lot of them seem to be related/ repetitive outages. Defiantly does not leave a good taste in my mouth.

It would be great to read more information behind the outages. What caused the issue, and what measures are in place to prevent them from repeating. It would also be great to get these notifications via the app in addition to the email.

I mentioned this previously in another thread as well so I wanted to re-post. We are aware and very sorry about the issues you and our other customers have been experiencing as of late. Our team of engineers is actively working on resolving the issues to ensure continued and reliable service for everyone. I hope we can work towards providing more information in the future or an outage retro once the instability is fully resolved.

We’ll be sure to revisit how we communicate these types of events going forward.

@matt you got to be kidding me with your response, right?
Maybe you forgot to paste a link with your full response elsewhere where I’d be happy to read and see my question answered.

I have been having problems since last week. Basically, it is not working anymore!

If they cut back the service, can we return the unit and have a full refund? I cannot image someone doing business like this.

They are obviously facing high storage costs and now trying to pass this onto customers by striping away features from the free service and forcing all canary device owners towards subscription service, all I’m going to say is that I will be leaving the canary eco system and as a tech journalist I will be sure to be posting the technical decline in features for this product set in my up and coming posts / social media and you tube. Still nest do not do this people :wink: don’t stand for it, without us loyal customers they have nothing and their greed shall be their downfall

What’s up with the instability of late? I’ve signed up to the email notifications on the status page and every few days see that all of the critical features that make this a security device are unavailable for several hours.

Are there underlying issues that you know the root cause of and are in the process of fixing, or is this level of instability business as usual now?

Hello. I am still new (less than two months) to Canary ecosystem and learning as I go. I signed up to get emails alerts to alert me with outages etc. Why are there many frequent outages? A lot of them seem to be related/ repetitive outages. Defiantly does not leave a good taste in my mouth.

It would be great to read more information behind the outages. What caused the issue, and what measures are in place to prevent them from repeating. It would also be great to get these notifications via the app in addition to the email.

I completely understand your frustration and this is not business as usual. Our engineers are aware of the underlying issue in our infrastructure that is directly causing the instability and we are working towards a long term solution. When I have more information to share I will re-post in this thread.

Mine had been unstable for the last 4 days getting a bit of a joke, my confidence and faith in this system is slowly dwindling.

I believe the issue is due to them not being prepared for the amount of data after this latest update. It amounts to technical incompetence in their Amazon Web Services engineering.

They removed a free feature or two which is causing users to enable their cameras to be always on and recording thus an increase is the amount of data that needs to be processed. These issues cropped up as they started to push the latest updates out.

While I’m not impressed by the changes to the free plan that have started rolling out, I wouldn’t be opposed to paying for service if the service was actually decent and generally working. Instead I get cut off videos, motion frequently not detected and getting worse and frequent service outages. How does Canary honestly expect anyone to suddenly fork over more money for this?

I had a package delivered yesterday while I wasn’t home…didn’t record. The next video just showed it there. These changes are so frustrating.

Matt,

I work in IT so do understand that large systems are complex and sometimes things go wrong. In these instances though clear communication is key to ensure your customers know the situation, can plan accordingly and recognise that you are taking the issue seriously.

I would strongly advise that you keep the status page updated when you are experiencing fundamental issues such as this, rather than saying that issues are resolved only for it to reoccur the next day.