Chime sounding when I get a motion notification

Today, after having my canary for several months, my phone has started to chime every time I get a motion alert. I have dogs at home who set it off quite frequently. Those notifications used to be silent, but now they come with a chime and it is driving me nuts. I have a Galaxy 7Active. I looked in the settings for the notifications sounds and it looks like it is set for silent. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @Kelli, happy to look into this.

Those notifications used to be silent, but now they come with a chime

Canary notifications should obey whatever volume settings you have set up on your phone. Is it that your phone is set to silent and the Canary notifications override this?

We did just release an update to the Canary app today, introducing a new custom alert, but that shouldn’t have affected your settings. Can you give me an idea of how you’ve configured your phone’s notification settings?

@Kelli Just spoke with one of our Android devs, and I think I might know the cause of the issue.

After the app update, all users were opted into the new custom sound. Can you go into the Canary app and change the notification sound back to “Default”? We have a guide to this here:

Send to support as well:

The latest ios app is announced with user customisable sound.

In the setting I have only the choice between “device default” and "canary"
How do i set my own sound, preferable a long, repeating mp3 sound.

How do i set a sound so, that it is repeated for 5 minutes or till I stop the sound?

Right after I posted–I got the email announcing the update! I downloaded the update and as soon as it was finished, I was able to choose the device notification, which is silent.

Thank you for the help!

No problem, @Kelli! Glad I could help.

Sorry for any confusion here. The sound is “custom” in that we’ve created it specifically for Canary notifications.

How do i set my own sound, preferable a long, repeating mp3 sound.

While there are likely ways to fully customize notification sounds through iOS itself, that’s not something we (or Apple) would be able to support. Another member of the community might be able to clarify ‘why’ better than myself, but to modify the notification sound for most (if not all) apps would require complicated workarounds for this.

How do i set a sound so, that it is repeated for 5 minutes or till I stop the sound?

iOS actually limits notification sound duration for 30 seconds, so this is something we wouldn’t be able to bypass.

Hope this clarifies things!