Device is already activated

Hello there. I had a Canary all-in-one given to me, still wrapped in the box. It does not have Bluetooth (old firmware I believe?), so I have to activate with the yellow cable. I had difficulty doing this and received messages that my phone couldn’t connect (don’t remember the exact message). When I try setting up again, I now get a message saying that the device is already activated. Is it possible I’ve just turned this into a brick or is something else going on? Is there a way around this message, or to reset it? I’ve tried connecting with an LG G5 and a Google Nexus 5. Thanks for any help.

Bought an already activated Canary Camera

Hey @Bonzo905,

It sounds like the device may still be activated for the previous owner and as a result need to be deactivated by them before you can use it. For more information on this see the two FAQs below. If you need any further assistance, let us know!

Thanks for the reply @Zev.
It should not have been previously activated as it was new in the box and all wrapped up. There is no known previous owner.
Is it possible that my multiple failed attempts to connect to it myself has caused this situation and if so, is there a way to undo it? (other than to deactivate it the official Canary way mentioned above since it says I didn’t activate it in the first place :slight_smile: )
Thanks.

Perhaps something got messed up, I would try all the steps on the FAQs and if you are still having trouble, contact Canary directly and they should be able to look at your individual device and serial number and find a fix for you.

Submit a ticket

A few tips when submitting your ticket:

• Include the email you use on your account as your contact email so Canary can find your account quickly.
  • If you have multiple types of Canary devices, include this information.
  • Attach any pictures or videos that might help diagnose the issue you are having.
  • Be as detailed as you can in your description to help Canary diagnose your issue.
  • Say what you have already tried and how you did it, this may help speed up your time to a fix.
  • Include a link to this topic if it contains additional information from other users that might help Canary.

Thanks for the reply Zev.
I’ll give it another whirl or two (or three, lol) and see how it goes.
If I get no love back from it I’ll try a support ticket.

Thanks again.

Zev, I could really use some help! I urgently need to activate my Canary All-In-One. I’m dealing with the same issue, pretty much. I am the only owner, I have changed locations. The phone I used to set up the Canary has been traded in and I no longer have it. The Canary app on my new phone is treating me like a first time visitor (asking me to set up a location) even after signing into my account. I can’t seem to find a way to deactivate my old location! I also can’t find a way to post a new topic on this forum, so here’s to hoping that you see this. :confused:

At this time I would recommend that you submit a ticket to Canary’s support team so that they can take a look at your specific device(s) and assist in figuring this out.

There are a few different ways you can contact support if you would prefer a faster response during business hours, you can find details about that here.

A few tips when submitting your ticket:

• Include the email you use on your Canary login as your contact email so Canary can find your account quickly.
  • If you have multiple Canary devices, include this information and detail which models you are having issue with.
  • Include any pictures or videos that might help diagnose the issue you are having.
  • Be as detailed and clear as you can in your description to help Canary diagnose your issue.
  • Say what you have already tried and how you did it, this may help speed up your time to a fix.
  • Include a link to this topic if it contains additional information from other users that might help Canary.

Thanks. I put in a ticket, but they had already closed. I had hoped to find a more timely reply here. No worries, thanks for the fast reply.

Are you in the same location as the devices?

I am, yes. It’s just the one device. Unfortunately, I did not deactivate it prior to leaving my previous location (different state, nowhere near where I am now).

If you restart the AIO and then pair it with your phone (either through the cable or bluetooth) does it not show up at all?

Usually when I have new devices I am able to log into the account and view my already existing locations. It’s a little odd to me that you aren’t seeing them.

Would you mind describing or showing what you do see?

Part of the problem is that the phone I used to set up the Canary has been traded in. So, when signing into the App from my new phone, it takes me directly to choosing a location and after that onto bluetooth pairing at which time it stops me with the “this device has already been activated” error message. I am unable to access the settings to remove my previous location.

It sounds like the account you are logging into may not be the same one as you had previously. For example:

If I log onto my account from a brand new device, even without the previous device, it will immediately ask me to log in. After I log into the same account I can then access my previous locations. It sounds like you are trying to log into a duplicate or otherwise different account and that is why the device is not showing up.

My locations are found, I just get the following message when trying to pair and then I’m unable to access the devices section of the app (either on my computer or on in the app itself) to remove my previous location:

“This device was set up at another location. The person who set up this Canary must remove it from their location before you may continue”.

Yeah that one is a weird error to be seeing for me, I think the best bet will be to wait to hear back from Canary or contact them directly tomorrow morning.

Hi
I bought a used canary camera, its already activated with an account.
the guy doesn’t know the login/pass for his previous account.
how do i reset it so i can use it.
thanks

Hey @edenclone,

I have moved your post to an existing topic with some answers on this subject. Take a look, and see if any of this helps. If the other user is unable to log in, I would suggest that you both reach out to Canary Support directly by Submitting A Ticket

@Zev my device has the same issue ‘device is already activated’. I contact canary by the ticket.
he say that he can help me to deactivate. but need my device online to upgrade the firmware. unfortunately my firmware is too old v1.2.1. the device can’t connet to the server? so the staff can not remove and deactivate canary for me.
what can I do now?
can I upgrade the device by myself?

Hey @eau
Your best bet will be to continue to work with Canary support, if they don’t have a solutuon for your issue, then we won’t have one here either.

But what can i do ? @Zev
I can’t use the device , because i cant activate it .
why can’t remove the link between device and account on the server side ?