Flex and flying bugs

It appears that something is attracting flying insects to my Flex at night. It appears to set off motion alerts. True?

Bugs activating motion sensor

It’s possible that the infrared LED on your Canary Flex which provides night vision is attracting insects. You may need to adjust your motion notification sensitivity to avoid being alerted for this.

Motion notification settings

Hope that helps!

Mine is literally doing the same thing. I set the sensitivity to 1, and it was still picking up bugs every ten to 15 minutes or so. I think it may be the white light that is also attracting insects when I have it plugged in. It is super frustrating.

A post was split to a new topic: Not receiving notifications on Flex

Same problem. I live in the south so we have lots of insects. The bugs at night seem to activate the motion sensor and they are attracted to the lights on the unit. I have tried decreasing sensitivity all the way down to 2 but at that setting, it doesn’t work well for detecting motion that I want to be notified of. I even caught a tiny newt running across my porch.

I have tried running mine on battery only. Unit is slow to respond on battery thus misses the brief insect flyby

I live in the south so we have lots of insects. The bugs at night seem to activate the motion sensor and they are attracted to the lights on the unit. I have tried decreasing sensitivity all the way down to 2 but at that setting, it doesn’t

As @angie mentioned previously this is directly caused by the infrared lights from the device, which is how the Canary sees in dark environments. With night vision in particular, the infrared light bounces off insects that are very close to the camera and it’s very difficult for the Canary to distinguish this from important motion. Additionally insects are attracted to IR light just as much as to visible light from the devices LED ring.

A few suggestion to counteract insects or weather would be to use the Flex unplugged. When operating unplugged, the LED ring remains off at all times and the IR LED is off when the device is in its low-power state. You may also look to position your device closer to an outdoor light source or add an additional light source to your outdoor environment. Flood lights near your device would allow Flex to record in color mode at night (negating the IR light bounce) or look into remote IR illuminators. Any additional lighting would help attract the insects away from your Canary Flex outdoors and improve visibility.

@dhs199543 Check out the below article to see if increasing your PIR sensitivity to the longer range setting will help.

How can I adjust the recording range of my Canary Flex?

While you sacrifice some battery life, it will help capture additional motion. One thing to consider when changing the range of your Flex would be to place your device in such a position to eliminate as much background activity (such as passing cars) as possible while still monitoring the desired area. Device placement is particularly important if the devices recording range is set to long range as the more background activity your device picks up the further it will reduce battery life.

Regarding your statement, “With night vision in particular, the infrared light bounces off insects that are very close to the camera and it’s very difficult for the Canary to distinguish this from important motion. Additionally insects are attracted to IR light just as much as to visible light from the devices LED ring.” Your suggestion of alternative lighting strikes me as a bit self-serving, except as a short-term workaround. While the purpose and need for the infrared light is easy to understand, I have yet to read any comments from Canary that explains the purpose of the LED ring. Even if it is true that insects are attracted by infrared light, elimination of the LED ring might be worth considering and would be very appreciated by those of us that continue to be plagued with insect-triggered events.

@Dave1 Thanks for your feedback! Many customers have expressed the same feeling regarding the LED ring on the device when recording motion at night. I see that you voted already, but if you wish to provide additional feedback feel free to leave it on the post attached to this reply.

Canary needs to be more “stealthy” at night

Updated article as well.
How can I reduce notifications from rain, snow or insects?

Thank you. I now run it on battery, works better.