How secure is the stream from Canary cams?

I was wondering where I can find more information on how secure the live stream is from my Canary AIO cameras? Just today, someone posted a link to a story on FB about how easy it is to hack into IP cameras. I read through the story and clicked on a few links and before I knew it, I was on a website that listed 10s of thousands of unsecured live cameras around the world. I was able to watch the live feed from any of the cameras I selected. There were even many of them that were PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) cameras that I was able to control remotely!

Please, please, PLEASE tell me it is not possible for complete strangers to watch the live feeds from my Canary cameras!

Hi @RobbW,

Thanks for reaching out about this. I can definitely understand your concern, having a camera living with you can be a little nerve wracking at first and I also would want to make absolutely certain that no one is able to view me or my home!

Security has been a top priority for us since Canary’s inception, with safeguards against the weaknesses that make other IP cameras vulnerable to DDOS attacks and unauthorized access built in from the beginning. As an example, one of the things that made the cameras that you’re seeing on that website so easy to hack is that they have built in default passwords that the user isn’t required to change. Canary does not have this vulnerability, and your account and videos are protected by your unique login information.

I’d encourage you to read this Help Center article and blog post for more information about our security practices as well as how we’ve been recognized for our commitment to protecting your privacy.

How do I know my Canary’s connection is secure?

Security You Can Trust

You can find even more information about the measures we take to protect the security of your data on the security section of our website.

I hope this helps you feel more comfortable having Canary in your home! If you have any additional questions or concerns at all, please don’t hesitate to let me know and I’m happy to address them.

Thank you, @angie!!! That makes me feel much more secure!