Mobile app v2.7.0 [iOS & Android]

Hi all, we’re happy to announce the latest mobile release 2.7.0, which includes:

• Improved Watch Live: Watch Live latency has been reduced. Enjoy a virtually real-time view of your home from the Canary app.
  • Two-way Canary Talk: Talk to anyone in your home from anywhere! Users with Canary Membership can watch live and hold down the microphone button to speak through Canary All-in-One like a walkie-talkie.
  • Desktop Streaming: Users with Canary Membership can log into the web app at my.canary.is to Watch Live or view video events right from a browser.
  • As always, this update includes bug fixes and performance improvements to make your Canary experience even better.

We have begun rolling out in-app support for Canary Talk and improved Watch Live to Canary All-in-One devices. We expect the overwhelming majority of all Canary All-in-One devices to have support for these features by the end of the week 8/18. Check your Canary app throughout this week for access to the new features.

Note: Canary Talk will be coming to Canary Flex devices with an active Membership in September 2017.

Matt,

Will the improved watch live support work with the Canary Flex this week? or do we have to wait for the Canary Talk release in September.

Thanks,

Kahlil

@kfeliciano Glad you asked for clarification! This release only provides support for Canary All-in-One devices. The improved Watch Live service and Canary Talk will both be coming to Canary Flex devices in September 2017.

Matt,

Thanks for the quick response, one additional question is the improved Watch live service only available for paid membership members?

Thanks,

Kahlil Feliciano

While only Locations with Membership will be able to use two-way talk, all Canary users even without Membership will be able to take advantage of the improved Watch Live experience.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Low quality Image in App 2.7.0

A post was merged into an existing topic: Low Quality Image in App 2.7.0

Hi folks,

I’ve been using your product (3 Canary All-in-One devices, + the mobile app for iOS) for over half a year now, and it has been very helpful in monitoring a home situation where a family member needs care. There have been some bugs to deal with along the way, but overall the experience has been positive.

However, I’m writing to ask for your advice regarding image freezing + application stability issues which appear directly related to v2.7.0 of your iOS app, and/or v2.0.0 of the firmware.

Unfortunately, the product has become essentially unusable. I’ve submitted a ticket to support, but have not heard back in the past 24 hours, and am writing in hopes that the development team might see this and be able to provide input.

Core issue:

When watching live via the iOS app, the image freezes - more than 50 times in the past day - no exaggeration.

This is a new issue that happened only after the new iOS app + firmware were deployed. I want to stress that nothing else in the configuration changed - not my hardware, not the wi-fi router, nothing in the usual list of questions you would ask. It would be a shocking coincidence if something happened on that front on exactly the morning that the new iOS app was rolled out.

At a guess, this issue seems to be related to the iOS app, because watching recorded video clips does not freeze. I.e., the image seems to get to Canary servers all right, but somehow the app freezes when playing it. Of course, it’s also a possibility that the gaps in video are not absence of motion, but rather, when an image freeze occurs, so it could be the new firmware rather than (or together with) the new iOS app.

Additional issues:

1 - Pixelation - low image quality referred to by other commenters. This I can live with if it’s adaptive image quality.

2 - iOS app freeze - Note that this is distinct from just the image freezing. When the image freezes, I have to press the “x” to close the image, then the “Watch Live” to start watching live again, and that restores the live stream (although I should not have to do this 50+ times in 1 day). When the app freezes, however, nothing in the app responds, and I have to force quit out of it and restart.

3 - Cannot scroll between 3 live feeds without workaround - Use to be able to swipe left or right between live feeds. Now, this does not work - live feed never starts after swiping - unless swiping all the way to the left-most feed, then swiping right.

4 - Delay of 10+ seconds when swiping between 3 live feeds - This used to be instantaneous, but now the “clock spinning” happens for at least 10+ seconds before the next live feed starts - even if you have visited it before - and this assumes the workaround in #3.

I can re-post this in the general forum if need be, but because these issues - especially the severe issue of image freezing which has happened 50+ times in 1 day - appear directly related to the roll-out of iOS app v2.7.0 and/or firmware v2.0.0, I’m trying first here.

Because the issue is so severe, and makes it almost impossible to monitor a home situation with a family member who needs care, and because support has not responded in the last 24 hours, I am very much hoping to make the development team aware of this, and save others the same difficulties I am experiencing. I am also hoping you can let me know if there is a workaround, and when a fix will be rolled out.

Thank you.

@CanaryView,

I’m sorry you’ve had so much trouble with the latest app rollout.

1. As mentioned here this is adaptive image quality, if you have any suggestions for improvements there I would suggest that you comment on that thread to keep the topic all together.

2. From time to time I have experienced similar things both with Canary and other apps. Is there something specific that causes this freeze repeatedly or is it just from general use? Additionally, what device and OS are you running the app on?

3. and 4. This seems like a very weird issue, and I would suggest submitting an individual support ticket for so that Canary can look into this specific issue, I have included information on how to do that below.

As for the freezing issue, is this something that is happening only in Watch Live or is this also occurring in the recorded content in your timeline? Have you tried the normal steps to try and solve it? Sometimes the easiest steps work the best (restarting cameras, app, phone, re-installing the application, etc.)

At this time I would recommend that you submit a ticket to Canary’s support team so that they can take a look at your specific device(s) and assist in figuring this out.

A few tips when submitting your ticket:

• Include the email you use on your Canary login as your contact email so Canary can find your account quickly.
  • If you have multiple Canary devices, include this information and detail which models you are having issue with.
  • Include any pictures or videos that might help diagnose the issue you are having.
  • Be as detailed and clear as you can in your description to help Canary diagnose your issue.
  • Say what you have already tried and how you did it, this may help speed up your time to a fix.
  • Include a link to this topic if it contains additional information from other users that might help Canary.

Zev, thanks for your reply.

Let’s forget about adaptive image quality. I mentioned in my original post that I could live with it.

In fact, let’s forget about everything except what I described in bold as the core issue: The image freezing more than 50 times in 1 day when watching live.

As I mentioned in my original post, I did not experience the image freezing issue in the 6+ months of usage prior to the morning that the new iOS app was rolled out. I have not “experienced similar things both with Canary and other apps,” as you described it. The image freezing issue is specific to the latest version of the Canary app. And it is not “from time to time,” in your words. It is 50+ times in 1 day.

If there were any particular trigger that causes this freeze, I would have mentioned it. Unfortunately, there is no obvious pattern.

As mentioned in the original post, the OS on which the app is running is iOS, and of course, the latest version, because Apple pushes out OS updates which have to be accepted. The device is an iPhone 6s Plus, and as mentioned in the original post, nothing in the hardware / configuration on this end (device, router, etc.) has changed in the past 6+ months. The image freezing issue only showed up on the morning the new Canary iOS app, v2.7.0, was rolled out.

You asked, “As for the freezing issue, is this something that is happening only in Watch Live or is this also occurring in the recorded content in your timeline?” As mentioned in the original post, “At a guess, this issue seems to be related to the iOS app, because watching recorded video clips does not freeze.”

You mentioned, “Have you tried the normal steps to try and solve it? Sometimes the easiest steps work the best (restarting cameras, app, phone, re-installing the application, etc.)” I haven’t tried re-installing the Canary app. Somehow that seemed a bit beyond just a normal step to get an app working. Does that typically help?

You recommended submitting a ticket to Canary’s support team. As mentioned in the original post, I did so, yesterday, and because I had not heard back from them on the support ticket in 24 hours (and I’ve seen others posting similar experiences), I mentioned in the original post that I was posting here in hopes that someone from Canary could suggest a workaround, indicate whether a fix is forthcoming, etc.

Noticed that the mobile app no longer allows video download now.

Instead I have a perma-ad suggesting I buy a monthly membership. On top of the existing perma-ads.

Is there any way to de-register my devices so I can sell them or give them away?