Motion Detection No longer works

For the past week, my canary will no longer alert me to motion going on in my apartment when I’m away or even when I at home. The “Send Notifications” is on. The motion sensitivity is at the highest it can be at. I rebooted both the device and my phone and still nothing. It just refuses to detect motion and alert me. It doesn’t do me much good if its not detecting anything or recording anything. Any ideas?

Thanks

Hey @xodus2222,

That sounds really frustrating, I’m happy to take a look!

First, I’d like to confirm that your Canary is online and set into a mode that records. Would you mind opening the Canary app for me? In the middle of the screen when you open the app, do you see the “Watch Live” button, the message “Set to private”, or the message “Canary is offline”?

Can you also let me know what icon you see on the bottom left corner of the screen? Is it a shield, a house, a camera with an X on it, or some other icon?

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

I do have the “watch live” in the middle of the screen.

The bottom icon is the shield with a check mark in it. It is also not set to private.

However, when I went home for lunch, I switched it to the house icon with a check in it and still I got no motion detection in it.

Thanks for confirming that. If you tap “View Timeline” at the bottom of the screen, do you see any recordings or have there been no recordings since the issue started? If you tap “Watch Live”, are you able to see a picture?

If I tap the “watch live” I can see my home. I have nothing in my timeline. I did have stuff there but it went away after so long. I guess its been not detecting motion all week.

Ok, let’s try a few troubleshooting steps and see if we can get motion detection working properly again.

First, I’d like to powercycle the Canary. Please unplug the Canary from power and wait one full minute, then plug it back in. Give it a couple of minutes to reconnect to your network.

Next let’s check that recordings and notifications are working with these steps:

1. Open the Canary app.
  2. Tap the quick mode selection button on the bottom left.
  3. Tap Away to switch your Canary to Away mode.
  4. Lock your phone and walk in front of your Canary.
  5. Wait 10 to 15 minutes.
  6. Walk in front of your Canary again.

You should be able to find video in your Timeline of you walking in front of the Canary, and should also get an alert when motion is detected.

Let me know how it goes!

I did try that earlier when I was at home and nothing was recorded. I unplugged it for a few minutes and had it set for away and moved around for almost an hour and I got nothing recorded.

Thanks for giving that a try. At this point I think it would be best for you to go ahead and submit a ticket to our support team so they can look more closely into your account and the logs for your device. Feel free to link to this forum thread in your ticket so they can read up on what we’ve done so far :slight_smile:

Thanks. I know I submitted a ticket a couple of days ago and haven’t heard anything. That’s why I came here. Thanks for your help.

Sorry for the delay on a response! I found your ticket from this morning and I’ll ask one of our support agents to reach out to you soon.

thanks. I did finally get home and tried what you said again and I am still not getting anything to record or detect motion.

Eureka! I had to uninstall the app and then reinstall it on my phone and that did it. Thanks for all your help.

Perfect, thanks for following up with what worked! :thumbsup: