Motion V Person notifications

Are there any plans to allow a user to select only to be notified when a Person is detected vs standard Motion? I’m using several Flex on my boat and I get constant Motion notifications caused by moving water currents, boating rocking and reflections off water. I really only want to be notified when a Person is detected which would allow me to set my sensitivity settings much higher and not need to worry about masking out 90% of my screen.

Hey @Sbmcwilliam,

Thanks for your idea and question! Although Canary does not normally comment on specific plans, I would encourage you to look at one of the blog posts Canary has previously posted. It states:

If you want to only receive Person alerts you can change your motion notification sensitivity settings. If you set your sensitivity setting to 3 or lower—you will only receive Person alerts. In the coming months, we’ll be adding more customization tools and user interface enhancements to Person Detection, so make sure to keep your app up-to-date.

via: https://blog.canary.is/introducing-person-detection/

I hope that helps for now!

First, thank you for your kind and informative reply. Amazing that my suggestion was already in process and just released today. You’re all way ahead of me. On a separate by similar topic does setting for recording and alerting on PERSON only reduce the amount of data utilized? I’m using on a boat and there’s tremendous amount of water and light reflections that cause motion recordings. Absent recording these motions will this reduce the data usage as I’m using cell phone data.

Thanks again.

You got it! Sorry that I couldn’t say anything more about it until its public release, I knew it was on the way for you! :wink:

Any motion that is recorded will be uploaded and use data. These new settings just tell which notifications will be sent to your mobile device. To reduce the glare off the water, using Masks would be your best bet (though I know that might be difficult in your situation)

Hey @Sbmcwilliam and @Zev

Just wanted to chime in with a little more information here. Setting your device to record and alert for people only, should reduce the amount of video that will upload. The device will record and send up video only if it has detected a person. So any videos of water and light reflections should not be consuming your data.

And to second Zev’s point, masks are another great tool to reduce false alerts too.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
Maciej

I have utilized the masking. However, what I’ve noticed is the alerts were not being triggered when motion/person should have been detected outside the masked area. Example: I walked to within 20-25’ of 2 separate camera daytime and it took them approximately 10-15 minutes of me in the area before they recognized motion. The masking is a good idea but I haven’t had a great success with the accuracy.

Maybe, I could set the cameras to SHORTER RANGE rather than current MID RANGE while using the masking to cut down on the data usage.

Another issue with masking appears that if I draw too small and area the camera isn’t able to determine between simply motion or person. Example: there’s a dock to my boat. If I use masking to effectively cut out the water to the left and right of the dock so that only the dock is not masked the camera(s) appear to have an issue determining motion/person. Suggestions on any of this?

Just to briefly clarify here, if you look at your timeline, is the whole video there in the timeline and just not notifying your device, or is it not recording the action at all? If the video is not in the timeline then that definitely is an issue. However, if the notifications are slow this may be for a number of other reasons.

As I understand it… When an area is masked, it will not record ANY motion triggered within that area. This includes a person if using person only notifications. Masking essentially tells the camera “ignore all activity in this area”.

The difference between shorter range and longer range for data use will depend on the exact angle of your camera. It’s certainly something you could give a try, but as described in the below FAQ, the recording ranges are ranges and may not entirely decrease data depending on that distance

Low 0-4ft, Medium 0-16ft, and Long 0-28ft

In my personal experience, if your major concern is data usage, I would recommend the following:

1. Use short range
  2. Mask out all areas that are possible to be masked
  3. Turn on person detection only
  4. Consider using battery power instead of plugged in. (The reason I suggest this is that plugged in, the Canary Flex will use “Computer Vision” all the time, on battery it relies on changes of the passive infrared sensor as described here)

Let me know if that is helpful at all.