Power Outages and Canary Status

I live in Florida and, as you probably guessed, storms play havoc with power. I’ll install a batter backup to solve it. But, I wanted to see if there wasn’t a fix for it. When the power drops and comes back within a second or two, the Canary goes offline and starts blinking red…but, doesn’t get back online. As an experiment, I let it sit for about ten to fifteen minutes…

To restore connectivity, I unplug it from power, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in. Within a minute or two, it’s back online.

I’m not complaining…like I said, I’ll connect it to a UPS. I was just wondering if there’s something else that can be done.

By the way, it has an Ethernet connection…not on WiFi…which reminds me, I’d like to see 5GHz antennas used versus 2.4GHz. I’d swap it with a Flex if the Flax had Ethernet…

This seems a little odd… If the power cuts and comes back it should reconnect. One possible fix might be to have the UPS run power for the router and modem as well (if it doesn’t already?)

Have you also tried the same experiment with WiFi? Does it reconnect when it is on WiFi? My experience on WiFi even with 2.4GHz. Also just for your information, the Flex is compatible with dual band networks (allowing it to connect to 5GHz)

If none of that would help, I would recommend that you submit a ticket to Canary’s support team so that they can take a look at your specific device(s) and assist in figuring this out.

A few tips when submitting your ticket:

• Include the email you use on your account as your contact email so Canary can find your account quickly.
  • If you have multiple types of Canary devices, include this information.
  • Attach any pictures or videos that might help diagnose the issue you are having.
  • Be as detailed as you can in your description to help Canary diagnose your issue.
  • Say what you have already tried and how you did it, this may help speed up your time to a fix.
  • Include a link to this topic if it contains additional information from other users that might help Canary.

Hi Zev,

I’m working on redesigning my network to move from Linksys equipment to Ubiquti and I might throw the Canary onto wireless as a test. But, I will probably just put it on a UPS and forget about it. I’ll manage the UPS and configure it to restore outlets in a specific order, that sort of thing.

I just wanted to see if there was something else going on. I’m using the latest firmware on the Canary. It’s the only device that hiccups when the power blinks. It’s a great device and I like it.

Cheers!

Well, I happen to be swapping my network equipment and working through labeling all of my devices, etc. Low and behold, my Canary was showing up on my WLAN versus LAN. I climbed up my ladder and started checking things out. I apparently have a bad punch or a broken pin on this particular jack. Luckily, I had wired two jacks on the ledge. I tested the other one, plugged the Canary into it, and now it’s on my LAN.

So, this looks like a goof on my part, assuming it was wired versus wireless. Problem solved…

Sorry for any inconvenience in time spent on it.

Cheers,

-Sixty

Not a problem at all! Glad you got it worked out!