Significant (and possibly dangerous) delays in activity notifications!

Thanks, Sean. I will test your recommendations and see if that clears up my problem. I guess I’m still having a hard time understanding how the sensitivity to detection of motion/activity has any impact on the immediacy with which a notification is sent. My Canary system waiting until all motion has ceased before it finally sends out a notification seems very wrong.

I have exactly the same problem. I have also tested myself and notifications only come through minutes - sometimes 15 mins after I have done a walk through in front of the camera and then left the room. This has left the Canary camera a useless piece of equipment. This should not be a problem and I have spoken to a helpful person in their help section, but all they could suggest was I rebooted my system and App, I did this but there was no help. Another issue I have is even connecting to the camera via the app when i do get a notification. I feel really let down by Canary’s service.

Hey Jay,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been experiencing these issues, I’d be happy to help resolve them.

When you experienced the delay in notifications, was the sensitivity setting raised all the way to the top? If not, this will cause the Canary to not send a notification until the specified motion threshold has been reached.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Canary will record motion in 10 minute clips. So if one event is triggered and sends a notification for movement, another notification will not be sent until 10 minutes after the previous event started. To help clarify this further, if there is an hour worth of motion in front of your Canary, you will receive six notifications and six separate video clips all spaced out by ten minutes (assuming your motion threshold is being reached at the very beginning of each clip).

In regards to having issues with connecting to your Canary via the app, there are a wide range of issues that could be causing this. If you would like to discuss specifics about your account, please submit a ticket and one of our Customer Experience Advocates will be able to further assist.

1 Like

I have the same problem. Since I’ve had this (almost a year) it takes forever to send a notification. I keep the sensitivity set to maximum - surely from the first sign of movement a notification should be sent within 10 seconds at most if not less.

Very disappointed with this. It tends to take several minutes to come through (and that’s being kind). By then it’s practically pointless in most cases.

As previously said by another canary customer, this is basic stuff for a security camera surely…

UPDATE: I went into the room twice breifly (within the cameras view and no masks are set) and over 6 minutes have passed and still no notification. I don’t think I’ll even get one. This is terrible

UPDATE 2: I have received a notification after 8 minutes

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the reply Sean. I do have the sensitivity set to maximum but it still takes anything between 5 - 15 mins for a notification to come through. Which understandably, makes the camera useless.

The not sending another notification till 10 mins since the last one makes sense, but the first notification is not coming through till a long time after i’ve set it off.

What was the result of the ticket? Anyone?

Hi,
Simply, I bought canary flex for peace of mind not to loss my time in weekend searching online for solutions for delay of notifications.
I reviewed and followed all steps on the help pages on canary website but the issue still going on.
Please advice.

I see this obviously is not an issue that they want to fix if it was occurring last year and still to this day is still a problem

You know what I did a little more research and I do not believe this is the case. I believe the Canary team is working on key enhancements to stabilize and enhance this product. I was definitely of the same mind prior to digging a little deeper as aa dissatisfied customer but was surprised to hear about some of the changes that are in the pipeline.

Do you work for Canary??? Cause this subject was posted a year ago and I purchased one a few months ago not knowing this and mine is doing the same thing as the op. So obviously they aren’t concerned. I have another cam by Foscam that within seconds of it detecting motion a notification is sent. I am going back to it as my primary cam and selling this garbage

Also what good is paying for talk back if the person is gone? You don’t get the notification that someone is at the door until 3-5 minutes later. So much for telling fedex to leave the package at the door because you won’t even know he was there till he is long gone

Glad i had a read through the forum one last time. Linking my post below. I have had a Flex and AIO for a year on full subscription and this time delay has always been there… through tests, re-sets, firmware updates, app updates etc.

Im done, subscription cancelled! Lesson learned.

Sorry Canary, i was really rooting for you guys against the competition.

— Anyone in the UK want to buy a carefully looked after AIO and Flex, both in black and white, ping me :wink:

I have exactly the same issue. I have both a basic D-link camera (DCS-932L) which sends me alerts the second someone enters the room, and a canary which usually misses the first time someone enters a room completely and instead sends me an alert (if I’m lucky) showing them moving in the room many minutes later.

This is totally useless as a security device because of these delays, and the links above to changing sensitivity no longer seem to work as this feature appears to have been removed from the app(?)

It is very disturbing that this is still an issue… I to have been experiencing significant delays. I have rebooted devices, logged in and out, changed sensitivity, have no mask setup and still do not receive notifications until minutes later. Canary, I want to like the product and not feel like I have wasted hundreds of dollars but you have left us all in a potentially dangerous position. No wonder not all insurance companies are accepting you as a legitimate monitoring system. Wasted investment, wasted time and waste of monthly payments… very disappointed.

I am seeing the same issues, Just purchased this Canary All-In-One from Verizon, was significantly discounted (now I see why…)

I have completely turned off notifications as they are useless if they do not come immediately. My notices sometimes take up to 15 minutes to get to me, if they ever do. Is there something coming in the form an an app update or a firmware update that will fix this? If not, I am returning my camera to Verizon for a refund. I like the camera and the interface, but if it does not notify quickly, then it is useless.

has anything been done to resolve this issue? I, too, have missing or significantly delayed notifications (sometimes several minutes).

I have been having the same issue. Unfortunately I think I’m going to pony up and pay for some additional RING cameras as I haven’t had any issues with their service (use RING for outside). A shame too, as I have invested in six Canary cameras over the years.

1 Like

This is absurd. I would like to hear from current Canary management on the current status of this issue, including an ETA for resolution. This is a fixable problem.
I just tested this. My AIO is online and in Away mode and recording all motion —supposedly—. I rolled in front of the camera about 40 minutes ago and have received no alerts. I did receive an alert that the temperature is abnormal a second ago. Temperature monitoring is nice but intruder alerts are more important.

I’ve officially given up. Grabbed some RING cams on Prime day and got them set up this week. Shocker, they work perfectly. Will be cancelling my Canary subscription shortly.

1 Like

While I want to remain hopeful, it is clear that the promises of Canary performance simply never materialized. I have 2 AIO in 2 locations, 4 AIO total. I have never seen anything better than a 10 sec lag on watch live, more often 15 sec or better, and that is on fast internet. Notifications are slow, delayed and rarely catch all of the activity. I have never seen a 10 minute clip with all of activity. Home Health data, including temp, reporting has gotten better but is often delayed 12 or more hours until refreshed in my app. And the issue of the nighttime “red eye” of night vision. I’ve tried to look beyond and it is clear to me that this product has little future. it is too bad because the unobtrusive design is excellent. I just wish the hardware/software lived up to the hype.