Solar panel technology for Flex

Serious question about the Flex.

Cant help but notice the device has a plethora of fancy sleeves,cases, and even a LTE radio device coming it’s way from Verizon, but does anyone at Canary ever considered developing a solar panel for it so it does not need to be moved every 3-4 months for a charge?

A certain serious competitor of yours ( rhymes with ‘sing’ ) has this technology for their camera in the form of a branded $50 USB Solar panel, and It’s been a crucial purchase decision of mines to purchase their camera over the Flex.

@ryclar This is a really interesting idea! While I don’t have any plans to share, thanks for sharing the feedback.

Ring has it for their stick up cams so it would definitely be nice to have, especially with a 10ft cord. I have to get my ladder out everytime I need to charge my Flex and the battery life isn’t great for me with zero notifications or recordings. Would definitely love this feature, under $40 and i’m on it.

Did you find an alternative solution to power your Flex device or do you still climb up to take them down? Also, what have been your connectivity experiences so far? Did you have to install a wireless repeater to help with any connectivity issues?

Well since a recent update my battery life has improved alot. I have not found an alternative power source and yes I still have to climb the ladder to get it down. It would be nice to be able to mount it upside down and rotate the view as mine is mounted under the deck and that hinders the night vision. Still waiting on Canary for both of those improvements.

This is a great idea. Does anyone have any recommendations for a solar based power source for the canary flex?

I got an email for a survey a couple weeks ago and a solar option was mentioned.

I’m looking for a panel and there’s this one from Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Renogy-The-Portable-Solar-Panel-with-USB-Port-RNG-CMP-EFL5/301691163. It has overcharge protection. Since it’s Home Depot, it’s returnable within 90 days. I would avoid chargers that are designed to recharge phones, unless they have overcharge protection.

Have you tried it out on your flex? Does it work very well?