Switch to turn on/off night vision

As of today, night vision is being auto controlled using ambient light sensor, which is works perfectly well in most use-cases and scenarios. In my use-case, I am using one of the canary devices to monitor outdoor through glass window. At night, I face trouble capturing good footage under night vision turned on. This is due to reflections of IR LED lights back on to camera lens. Vision is so bad, one can hardly see anything. This scenario it would be perfect to manually turn off night vision and being able to capture meaningful footage, given my outdoor is well lit.

One other thread (FR-462) discusses introducing invisible IR LED’s which would certainly be useful (but may require us to buy new hardware) This feature help with use-case defined here. Hope its fits in your roadmap. Thanks.

Solution to glare
Automatic Night Vision

Cool idea!

Would it be possible to put some sort of film or filter on the camera lens that would cut out those reflections? There is similar filter called a Circular Polarizer (CPL) used on car dash cams to eliminate windshield reflections. Maybe that will work for the IR issue?

@starbum that’s interesting idea. I see you point, probably worth trying, I need to find filter of size which can can ideally cover 3 (top and bottom IR LED’s and lens) followed by a mounting solution on top of canary device. If I happen to try it, I’ll certainly update here.

@theeven You should only need to cover the lens itself, if that helps.

u bet! my bad.

This was one of the missing features on the Flex that really surprised me. Even cheap IP cameras from China let you set the night mode to on/off/auto. If you check out the complaints about the Ring Pro vs. original Ring you will see that the majority of folks are saying they wish the CMOS sensor on the Pro would stay in color mode, even at night, like the original unit did.

Like the OP I have a Canary in a window (mine is a Flex) and when in night mode the unit is useless. I don’t think that a CPL is the solution because it primarily blocks linearly-polarized light from reflections (and sky-light) not the backwash of LED illuminators.

Since they are infrared you would think you could use an IR cut filter but I believe those are most effective with 940nm LEDs (not visible to the human eye) and both the Flex and original Canary glow red in night mode, indicating a more powerful but lower nanometer IR LED. (Or is the red LED just an indicator on the Flex and not an actual illuminator like on the original?) Since IR cut filters only filter IR light some light might still be visible to the image sensor in either case. Bottom line is an option in the software to turn them off would be a much simpler solution.

While this thread is slowly getting momentum. How does Canary development team pick feature requests? Which stage does this request stand as far as release is concerned?

I think having the ability to manually turn off night vision in settings would be a great idea. Having my canary flex in a window to look outside at night is very poor because the IR light is being reflected by the window making it very difficult to see outside.
Are there any plans in updating the software or firmware to allow the user to have that option?

Just hitting the same problem with my new Canary. Very surprised that it is not possible to turn off night vision. As mentioned earlier this is a standard feature on the much cheaper alternatives. For now I have resorted to covering the IR with black tape which allows it to provide reasonable night cover - my canary is close to a window with reflection messing up the night view. Please introduce simple on/off into software asap

Thank you everyone for taking the time to share your feedback about this! As always, please remember to click “like” on the original post so we can easily track interest when deciding how to prioritize these requests.

If you check out Angies reply later in the thread the best way to gauge interest in new features is to hit the Heart and like the original post!

Thanks for explicit pointer, but I am well aware of basic community rules out here. My question to Canary team was bit concrete.

Let’s face it, canary has quite small online community footprint at present, if you consider only active community users, it even lesser. Obtaining 3 digit likes looks unlikely scenario on any threads at the moment. Given this, I would like to know from CANARY TEAM on how they pick up features from online community requests. At what point lines are drawn? Given such low amount of ratings and ranks, how product team makes feature decisions. Would you be able to share your current feature road map with online community? Thanks!

@theeven, I totally agree - it would be great to get even a rough idea of a roadmap (software improvements, etc) and some realistic understanding how the team prioritizes fixes, new features, etc based off only 5-10 likes at most for the majority of threads.

I think one way to help drive some community attendance is improving the community’s SEO rankings. If I google “canary flex battery life” I don’t get a single result that would point me in the direction of this community.

Great feedback and questions. We really appreciate everyone taking the time to give input. To answer your question, we use Community feedback, combined with feedback from emails, phone calls and surveys, to prioritize feature requests and add items to our Product roadmap.

Our Product and Design team also do regular User Experience sessions where we get real customers into the office and discuss ways to improve the product. As you’ve noted, the Community is small but growing and we’re continuing to work to try to promote it as a way to give feedback about Canary. Just recently, we started to promote the Community more through our Help channels.

While we don’t expect feature requests on the Community to get triple digit “likes” just yet, we do want you to know we pay close attention to all the input being given.

Lastly, we appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the way we manage and moderate the community, including giving regular updates on feature requests.

Well i have managed to solve to IR problem. It involves putting a small LED in front of the sensor and this turns off the IR. I used a USB phone charger lead and cut the phone end off, a green LED and a 220 ohm resistor.

That’s a cool fix! Love the idea and the work! Got any pictures of how it came out?

its a little bit rough at the moment but it actually does the job

That’s a very cool solution haha. Some white and black electrical tape might hide it well?

If you want to get rid of glare that is a result of trying to put your camera inside and view outside through your window hang the canary flex by the accessory the twist mount and I am putting a light 15-18 below the camera and it gets rid of the reflective glare my idea:) I’m smarter than the average bear