Switch to turn on/off night vision

I have a bit different situation. My Flex mounted in front of my house doesn’t go into IR mode due to a nearby utility night light. I’d rather have an optional IR mode select since the IR can see much farther into my yard at night.
I know this from one night that the utility light was off. I could see probably almost 100 yrs further in IR mode.

Whatever it is that causes the reflection back into the video lens needs a manual shutoff. I’m not sure if it’s just the fault of the red indicator light when the IR kicks on, or if it’s invisible IR light that reflects back into the lens, but without doing a lot of extra work, and still risking my Flex being stolen, there’s no other way this thing is going to be useful. I live in the city and I’ve got this perfect window right over my front door, but the glare makes it a non-option, even though that is exactly why I bought it. Considering returning it, but maybe one day I’ll figure something out…

FYI I only joined this community so I could vote this idea up so come on Canary! Give the people what they want! Actually can’t believe they didn’t test this thing through a window at night and figure it out for themselves back in the R&D stage.

This feature request is not targeting specific use-case, rather tries to address generic problem one case encounter when device is placed behind a glass surface. Everyone has different setup and house situation. Additionally you are FALSELY assuming people are discussing flex device here and have option to use flex mount. Hope that helps.

I just purchased a Canary AIO and I would also like to have the ability to disable night mode. Like the original poster, I have mine setup at my front door behind a window and the porch light provides more than enough ample light at night so I don’t need the IR to kick in.

@Gavin , on April 5th you chimed into this thread asking us to be patient. Today marks July 15th, we are still waiting. After around 6+ months this issue is been raised, I once upon would like to raise same question. Give us insights on canary feature roadmap. What is the point of creating a community/forum where we have one sided communication. Canary team should be accountable at-least to let forum know, whether this feature request makes sense, planed for OR just sitting in pile of junk requests.

In regards to this feature request, let’s be frank, what’s the point of having canary device monitoring outdoors and not being able to capture good footage. IMO this deserve s0 status as reflections are disabling basic functionality.

While canary team might be busy with next line of canary devices for consumers, what about taking care of customers who have already invested in canary? How about accountability towards paid consumers, all I am asking here is openness, that’s the prime motive behind having such community on first place.

We awoke to the neighbor’s construction job being robbed in what we believe was a staged robbery to get rid of their security tapes that shows them causing damage to the two neighboring houses. We called to report it and the police came out. The police asked about our camera footage, which WOULD have shown the perpetrator had it not been in night mode. Instead I got to show them a giant glare off the window. Please make a shutoff for the night vision!!!

Any progress being made on this issue? Is the manual control of the IR lights on the soon to arrive list of features or are there no plans to implement this feature?

I have the same problem with window upfront of one of my Canary! There should be a way to remotely turn on/off night vision on your I phone on selected Canary unit software. I have 3 indoor units working great with night vision and one unit in a window has reflection problem! Please, ad this option…Í’m glad that I’m not the only one Canary lover with this problem. I live in CA and our second house is in OH 2,500 miles away & Canary is a great help to keep an :eyes: on it!

Canary + Night Vision is 4 minus 1 that’s 3, Quick Maffs…

Seriously Canary team we really need this feature. product is sickkkkk. we just need a night vision on/off toggle.

greetings from London

Please add the ability to manually turn off IR night vision. A lot of us use canary behind the glass and the image becomes unusable when IR is on due to the reflection from the glass.

Agreed! Same experience here with Canary AIO behind a window. I’d love to see a switch with multiple options, something like Auto Night Vision, IR Illuminators Off, and Night Vision Always Off

Switching IR off is really needed here. It shouldn’t be so complicated fro soft developpers to add this switch into device config. Canary is useless over night if placed behind the window glass. It’s shame cheap Chinese cameras offer such flexibility.

please canary can we switch off IR or are you still looking into this

Following multiple thefts from my car, last month I bought a canary view to watch out behind my house into my well lit driveway. That is to say… I am going to have to buy a different camera to do that.

The solution just seems… so… simple

Can someone tell me the reason we pay a fee for pro canary features when they are useless and extremely limited!? I just setup my canary pro tonight and the night vision IR glare makes my motion detection useless. I had a amcrest pro HD and it had night vision and microphone options with a ptz feature for no cost. Sadly I sold it . Any way to turn off night vision of canary pro or hack it?
Thanks

I agree with all the users above. I am going to send mine back due to the inability to turn the IR off. I wanted to point it out of a window but as above, the glare makes it useless.
I’ve been using the camera to monitor our living room and I’m impressed. The camera itself is fab and I can’t fault it but at the moment it’s not fit purpose…my purpose anyway!

I can’t believe this hasn’t become a feature yet?!? Please canary this feature is a 5 minute code

Another vote here to disable the infrared through the app, sounds like a simple bit of coding and you make a lot of people happy with your product.

I’ve been waiting for 2 years for them to simply add this feature so I could make my older canary work at night when it’s pointed out the window. I finally purchased a Canary Flex for out front, but I still wanted to make the canary work through a window out back.

So I decided enough is enough - if they won’t give me a software fix - I’ll do the hardware fix and here are my instructions.

1. Unplug the canary
  2. Pry the little rubber 3/4 circle ring on the bottom off - this was the most difficult part of the whole operation I think. Pry in the middle back using a tiny flat head screwdriver.
  3. One the ring is removed you’ll see 4 little screws underneath it, remove these.
  4. Now you can remove the base unit, I had to use the screwdriver gently around the openings to get it started and it took some jiggling to get it loose but you’ll see the ethernet and power connector start to move upwards through the holes in the back and you’ll get some small separation between the front lens panel and the bottom piece.
  5. Once loose it should slide out the bottom - but it does have a ribbon cable connecting it to the camera/IR unit.
  6. After removing the base (you can unplug the ribbon cable if you want but it’s hard to do so best to just be careful) pry off the front square cover that runs the length of the front of the unit (it’s the cover over the camera, it should pop off - it’s connected by some sticky glue/tape).
  7. Once the lens cover is off you’ll see 4 screw (there’s actually 6 but I’ll explain the other 2 in a minute). Remove the 4 screws.
  8. Now the camera/IR unit should be a little loose - there are 2 more screws up underneath the top panel where is curls down the front and for the life of me I couldn’t figure out a way to get to these without prying up the top piece corners (I thought it would pop loose but it didn’t so I caused a little cosmetic damage to get to the last two screws, nothing serious). You may be able to do the next step without removing those two screws so read on.
  9. Now that you can see the camera lens and the IR lights, peek inside in the area between the top and bottom IR lights along the side and you’ll see a little white connector with a red and black wire going to it - this is the power for the IR lights. I was able to push down slightly on the lower end of the camera/IR unit where it was loose (towards the bottom) and it gave me enough room to unplug this tiny white plug using a tiny pair of needle nose pliers. You could probably do it with a small flathead screwdriver as well.
  10. I reassembled everything and now my IR lights are disabled. The unit still switches into night mode as the sensor is still working…however that’s actually a good thing as I can now hook up a IR spotlight outside and the camera inside will see it.

So end result is I can now see through my window perfectly at night with my porch lights outside and if I want to I can even set up IR lights outside and see even better into the dark yard.

I positioned the little white plug so it isn’t touching anything when I closed the unit back up just to be sure it wouldn’t short anything out if it touched something by accident, pretty unlikely as those little plugs aren’t very exposed anyways.

Took me 15 minutes - really wish they would just do the software option. I guess if they ever do I can return my unit to normal again by just plugging the IR plug back in.

Anyway hope this is helpful…voids your warranty I’m sure, but mine is 3 years old.

Canary - I love your products, they’ve been working beautiful for years, just wish you would have listened on this one feature.

Having the ability to manually turn off night vision in settings is a no brainer. Having my canary flex in a window to look outside at night is pointless because the IR is being reflected by the window making the camera unusable.

This feature should be added ASAP.