The Ability to create Motion Zones

I think it would be great and also help with the Battery life of the Canary Flex, if the application provided you with the ability to create motion zones that would trigger notifications. For example I have one Canary flex positioned in my driveway and no matter how I position it I can’t make it avoid the street in front of my house which causes unnecessary alerts to be triggered when multiples cars pass by. If I had the ability to create motion zones I can designate a zone for this camera that would ignore the street as an area to trigger motion thus avoiding those unnecessary alerts.

Masks for Canary Flex
Ability to create motion detection zones
Face detection notifications

Off the top of my head and this may not be the correct answer. In Settings, Motion Notifications, have you thought about setting the Motion sensitivity to a lower setting?
It may or may not help your situation but it might be worth trying.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have already tried the lowering the sensitivity which in this case defeats the purpose of this cameras location which I want to alert me on any motion that is recieived

An ability to apply a “simple” motion exclusion zone or motion inclusion zone would be helpful. Now that my Flex is installed outside my house I’d like it to capture my driveway and front walk. Problem is, for me to aim at my drive way and include the front walk means it also sees the street. This captures ALL cars that drive by as motion. Even with the motion slider all the way down I’ll either still get alerts for cars driving by, or now get false negatives and WON’T be alerted when I get motion in my driveway.

The option for motion zones in addition to the slider would alleviate this.

Great feedback here! We have some things in the works that should address your concerns. Stay tuned!

I agree with this however I own the Ring Doorbell Pro with the motion areas and they don’t work that well. The reason I haven’t bought a Flex for the front of my home is because this feature isn’t available and I will be on battery power so it will drain quickly.

I just installed a new Canary Flex this weekend. I put it up high under the eve of our vacation house to watch most of the front yard, driveway and sidewalk. Last night it snowed, and the Flex was picking up the snowflakes blowing past and it was sending video to your cloud server all night. I reduced the alert sensitivity to almost zero so I would not get alerts but it still sent massive amounts of video. It would be great if the actual sensitivity of the Flex could be dialed back to ignore things like insects and snowflakes. It would also be nice if there was a way to delete the stored videos off of your server in mass and not to have to delete every one of them as single deletions. It will take a lot of time deleting all of those snowflake videos.

I would absolutely like to view the street, but only once the camera is triggered by the staircase.

Hey @unlimited_lifes,

This ideas has been suggested before, go take a look and voice your thoughts on that original thread! More input from the community will help drive the addition of new features like this!

I am having an issue with this as well. My drive way is very long and I have positioned the camera to get all the way to very edge of the drive way. There is a very little spot where you can see cars going by on the video.

At night, the camera records every time a car goes by and it catches the headlights of the car. Now I have the notifications turned off at night and while I am home but I would like turn it on in case someone does come up at night. it is annoying to see 12 videos from the night in my feed every morning.

Any type of motion zone or way to reduce detection would be helpful

Happy to see we’ve got an update for masking. Unhappy it’s not available on the Flex however. Are there plans to introduce this at a later time? The reasoning that the cameras are used to view outdoor environments doesn’t exactly explain why masking wouldn’t be useful.

Same question I have, its actually more beneficial for the flex since there mostly used outdoors and it would help eliminate unwanted areas that you don’t want motion to be triggered.

Agree with the comments that this would be extremely useful for the Flex and the explainer from Canary about why this isn’t on the Flex is kind of a load of crap. Every location being monitored, indoor or out, have areas that can be filtered out to reduce unwarranted notifications.

I’d argue that an outdoor camera needs this MORE than an indoor camera. An indoor camera it’s easier to predict the motion that is occurring. My Outdoor Flex sends me a notification every time the leaves rattle on the trees in the lower corner of the view, any time a car drives past in the street, etc.

Hey all, thanks for the feedback in relation to masking support for Canary Flex. Building the appropriate experience for Canary Flex is a bit tricky, especially when the device runs on battery and relies on the PIR sensor; but we’re looking to address. The feature update is on our radar, though unfortunately we don’t have a timeframe for release. This feedback helps us prioritize.

Thanks again

Masks for Canary Flex
Mobile app v2.5.0 [iOS & Android]

I would LOVE this feature to come to the Flex. I currently use the ‘Mask’ feature on the ALL IN ONE Canary Camera and it’s a life saver!!

Our driveway has bushes along both sides and we live in a windy spot. Our flex is pretty much permanently uploading rubbish to the Canary’s servers. As a result I no longer check motion alerts nor go through the timeline, our flex videos will only likely be checked re-actively (if we find damage to a car for instance).

Needless to say I would love to put an exclusion zone over those bushes (just like our indoor Canaries)

Glad to see I’m not alone with the masking feature. It is useless for me without it. I actually bought the Blink and returned it for the same reason…a hundred cars a day setting it off with no way to mask areas. I bought the Canary because I saw that masking was available, but unfortunately missed the part where it was only on the All-in-One. Needless to say the Flex is going back as a return until they come out with masking. Too bad…nice camera and the mounting system is really nice.

You also need to be able to turn off notifications. Maybe I missed that, but I didn’t see where motion activation could be turned off.

I used a Canary AIO for monitoring my driveway from inside my house, but at night this was rendered useless by the IR reflections from the window glass. As my driveway has much passing traffic, the AIO masking feature was perfect to filter this out so that only motion coming onto my property would be recorded/notified. With the advent of the Flex, I have now replaced the AIO with an external Flex, but can no longer apply the mask, so I am back to frequent notifications about passing traffic. Could you consider the implementation of masking on the Flex?

Hey @dave.p,

You are certainly not the first person to have asked this question! The latest comment from Canary directly was as follows

I have additionally merged your topic and the previous topic to help keep these ideas and requests together.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write!

I would like to see that soon too because my Canary flex is in the front of the house so I need Motion Zone to only get notifications when someone is in my property. Than you.