One thing that has been awesome about the community here is finding out some of the inner workings of Canary, how different products work, what the difference between a Flex that’s plugged in and a Flex on battery power and details similar to that.
What I would love to see added to the FAQ/Help Section is a detailed spec sheet on each device. Including information like:
- Recording bit rate
- Upload rate
- Download speed from cloud servers
- What cloud services are used
- We know something about the encryption, but how is it actually protected?
- How the computer vision/IR works on the different devices
- Details about the cameras themselves (their exact ratios, FPS, etc. * this is available, but it should all be detailed in one place as well*)
- Power consumption info
- Information on serial numbers (which serial numbers have bluetooth functionality, which don’t, etc.)
- Information on audio recording
- Detailed tech specs about the device
- Detailed specs on waterproofing and other build components
So, obviously the list can go on and on, but it would take for expansion on what is already out there. For example, on the Flex page it states:
“Night Vision - High-quality automatic night vision”
Well, what does that mean?
“Audio - High-quality microphone - Built-in speaker (two-way talk enabled, coming soon)”
What db range does it pick up, how loud is it when transmitting, does audio trigger recording, etc.
It may take some time to aggregate all of this and may need to be kept updated regularly, but it might help explain a lot of the answers that are given throughout Canary Community, and for tech-users who care about the details, having a full specs sheet would be incredibly valuable when making a decision to purchase a Canary device.
I generally believe that transparency on these types of things helps users in the end understand and use their products, so I am hoping this is something that can and will be done!