Training Canary / Tags

Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance, but can you please explain:

If I have alerts on while I’m home, will “Tagging” the videos teach Canary overtime to ignore me / other family members, or do I have to turn off alerts when I’m home?

Thanks for your help!

Brian

Tagging of Activity Events - Distinguishing Significant from Insignificant

I suppose I’m asking: Does tagging people lead to the Canary learning to ignore their movements?

Thanks,
Brian

It’s a simple question - can someone from Canary please respond?

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian,

If you don’t want to receive notifications of activity in your home while you are home then yes, you should turn notifications off in Home mode.

The Canary system leverages tagging to help gain insight into the types of scenes devices are recording. This data can then be used to inform our computer vision algorithms and make our notification system smarter. While Canary does learn and improve over time, you can’t teach your Canary to ignore certain members of your home right now. While we don’t have anything specific to share, this functionality is something we are certainly interested in and will have some exciting new features to share in the future.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that - so tagging’s more about eliminating environment-related alerts rather than people at the moment.

That makes it even more crucial that (as noted in another thread) we are able to classify members differently, so that we have members who can be a mix of the following:

• Do Not Trigger Alerts
  • Do Trigger Alerts
  • Do receive notifications
  • Do Not receive notifications.

As an example: my wife does not wish to receive notifications, therefore at the moment I can’t have her as a member. Therefore I get alerts whenever my wife is at home and I’m out of the house.

The absence of this simple functionality makes the Canary pretty useless for me. I currently have 170 alerts on my phone that I haven’t bothered to check because they will be due to my wife. Not checking means I have no effective security system in place.

I am amazed and disappointed that geofencing is implemented without providing different settings for different users.

Can you please confirm this functionality is on the road map and when it can be expected?

Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Correct, as primarily a security product, our system is designed around notifying you when people are detected (i.e. someone in your house when you’re away). If your wife doesn’t want to receive notifications she can disable notification permissions for the Canary app on her phone. During setup, there is a prompt to allow the Canary app to send notifications, she can deny these permissions. This can also be changed in your phone’s settings after the app is installed. This way Canary will know when you and your wife are home and change modes accordingly but she won’t receive notifications. Hope that helps.

Dave

Hi Dave,

That helps a lot, and I will implement that, thanks for explaining.

It isn’t a full solution though as it means I (as an Administrator of the system) am not in control of who gets what. For example, I may want a live-in guest to be recognised by Canary but not have access to the alerts or videos, or know our movements.

The real solution is for the administrator to be able to control permissions for each user.

Can you please advise if there are any plans to implement this, and any estimated timeframe for implementation?

Regards,

Brian

Glad that helps! Permissions and access control is something that we are certainly interested in. I don’t have a specific timeframe to share but suggest you head over to this post in Feature Requests and like or add your throughts.

Thanks,
Dave

Already been there and done that :slight_smile:

Since installing one AIO and two Flex devices in January, I have dutifully tagged each activity event to identify what appears to have initiated the event. At first, I tried to use the identifications predefined by Canary. However, I soon found the need to add several that were most prevalent. These have included; “Insect” (flying insects seem to be attracted to the white-lighted circle), and “Reflection” (passing vehicle images during daylight or headlights at night - both reflecting in windows of home). I will continue to tag, since I hope that Canary will learn that these are not significant and should be ignored. However, this raises a question; how will Canary distinguish between insignificant things like insects and reflections, versus significant things like people, vehicles, etc.?

Hi @Dave1,

Hope you don’t mind, I’ve merged your post in with another very similar poster’s questions about tagging. I think @DaveF’s responses above answer a lot of the questions you’re having. If not let me know and I’m happy to explain further!

ActuallyI do mind that you have combined my question with this one. In the discussion above, the focus is on being able to differentiate family members and other people. My question is more to the point of distinguishing insignificant triggers such as; insects, reflections, rain, snow, etc. from a person. I can understand and appreciate Deskman’s concern. However, I think that my stated concern goes more to the fundamental values of tagging. If Canary cannot distinguish an insect from a person, why should I bother tagging at all?

Hey @Dave1, Canary’s team uses “likes” (the little heart) as a way to help them determine their product roadmaps as there are only so many features that can be worked on at any one time. As a result, bringing discussions about tagging all together to one topic will help keep things concise and should help actually get the improvements implemented at a faster rate.

I totally agree that there’s movement from weather, insects, etc. that are a total pain to deal with, but as it all falls under tagging, it should help long term for the entire process to be improved.

It’s good to know that “likes” helps you to set priorities and if gathering related questions into similar topics helps as well…so be it. Now, are there any further comments on my question, other than agreeing with me that insects, weather, etc. is a total pain to deal with? If Canary cannot distinguish between insects and people, why should I continue to tag?

As Dave mentioned above, the Canary system leverages tagging to help gain insight into the types of scenes devices are recording. This data can then be used to inform our computer vision algorithms and make our notification system smarter. However, short term, if you’re wanting to reduce unwanted notifications you would want to adjust your motion notification settings to be less sensitive. Hope that helps!

A post was split to a new topic: App crashes when tagging events