Water Ingress & Battery Issues

So I have 4 Flexes. 3 live outside 1 inside. The flex that lives inside is as good as new. The 3 Flexes that live outside - not so good.

Firstly these flexes are not much more than 3 months old, all housed under cover, have been treated with love and run the latest firmware at the time of writing (2.3.0).

Flex 1 - This flex has water ingress, not ideal for a device that billed as being used outdoors. It’s good for the bin. The LED ring is solid red, the power button is “unresponsive”, i.e. knackered and if you leave it charging the thing heats up to a dangerous level.

Flex 2 - This Flex currently works… but only charges to 30%.

Flex 3 - This Flex currently works… but only charges to 61%.

2 & 3 have been on charge now for 48 hours and have been reset. The Canary App and LED ring, (green charge indicator), show the same, unchanged, charge level.

These units are fit to work outside, right?

Right now it looks like I have a collection of rather expensive Canary paperweights.

Hey @canoe5627, sorry to hear you’re having issues with your outdoor Flexes!

At this time I would recommend that you submit a ticket to Canary’s support team so that they can take a look at your specific device(s) and assist in figuring this out.

There are a few different ways you can contact support if you would prefer a faster response during business hours, you can find details about that here.

A few tips when submitting your ticket:

• Include the email you use on your Canary login as your contact email so Canary can find your account quickly.
  • If you have multiple Canary devices, include this information and detail which models you are having issue with.
  • Include any pictures or videos that might help diagnose the issue you are having.
  • Be as detailed and clear as you can in your description to help Canary diagnose your issue.
  • Say what you have already tried and how you did it, this may help speed up your time to a fix.
  • Include a link to this topic if it contains additional information from other users that might help Canary.

Did that on Thursday. In the absence of a reply, I’m left ranting on here.

On a related matter, a bug in the Canary iOS app has temporally disabled all my Canary devices. My subscription lapsed whilst all my zones were in night mode. Those zones set to private are now impossible to enable. The ‘Please Subscribe’, interstitial helpfully informing me that night mode is a subscription feature. See enc vid.

I suspect a reset of all the devices would cure the problem - I’ve spent far too much time trying to fix broken Canary’s this week, they can stay as they are for the mo.

Heyn @canoe5627,

I’m sorry you had so much trouble with the devices this week, because of Thanksgiving there may be a backlog from Canary.

In regards to the night mode bug, that’s a new one for me! I am tagging @DaveF to make sure he is aware of this issue and can help trouble shoot it as well.

In the mean time, it may be worth making one last attempt with the app to delete the app from your device and re-install it.

Delete the app, good call, about the only thing I haven’t tried. Will give it a go and report back. Also completely forgot about Thanksgiving - would explain the delay. Cheers.

Uninstall, restart and reinstall of the iOS app had no effect. A device reset seems to be the last and only way to go. I’ve got numerous All-In-Ones and one remaining, working Flex, so it’s going to be a real pain in the rear. Such a shame I do love my Canaries, but the amount of issues I’ve had with them is irritating - to say the least.

Hey there,

Sorry to hear about all of the issues you have been experiencing. I’m going to send you a DM so I can gather some info and locate your support ticket in our system.

A post was split to a new topic: Issue with Canary WiFi Setup

Just want to give props where they’re due. Canary replaced my water damaged Flex, no hassle or quibbling. Nice new Flex arrived on my doorstep, old Flex packed up and ready to ship back to Canary. Lovely job Canary.

If the suggestion’s I got from support relating to the charging issues i’m having with two other Flexes work, you’ll once again the finest purveyors of smart devices in my house :wink: - will see with the next charging cycle.